Sunday, December 9, 2018

Talk given at Salt Lake City funeral of Kathy Bradley Offret


Talk given at funeral of Kathy Bradley Offret
May 8, 1987 in Federal Heights Ward by Hazel S. Cannon

          A number of years ago she entered the Relief Society room just a few minutes before time for the meeting to convene with two lovely little children in tow.  Her pretty face was radiant with smiles.  Immediately that room came alive.  There were handshakes and hugs and heartwarming comments:  “We are so happy you’re back.”  “We have really missed you.”  “You are just what our ward needs.”

          I said to myself, “Who is this young who is so readily accepted and apparently so loved?”  As I sat there, she was in my line of vision – and then I knew.  Yes, it was; it was Kathy Bradley Offret who had come back from Anchorage, Alaska to make her home in Salt Lake.  I hadn’t seen her for some time.

          It seemed that the Church brought us together immediately, and for me what a joyous relationship it was and one I shall always cherish.  She taught me so much.  Far younger than I, at times it appeared that she needed to counsel me rather than I her.  She was a young woman of presence and insight, and was a tireless energizer.

          I should like to discuss very informally today the roles in which I knew her best – first, her role in strengthening the family, and secondly, her role in rendering service.  Humbly, I solicit an interest in your faith and prayers that I might be able to express the things which are in my mind and heart.

          Robert Frost, the great American poet, said, “Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.  I should have called it something you haven’t to deserve.”
         
          The Offret children were taught to deserve home by learning early to work and to help care for that home.  Their friends benefited from this learning experience, also.  I was at the Offret house one day when a mother stopped by to pick up her little daughter who had been playing with the Offret children.  The child ran for her coat when Kathy intervened.  “Wait a minute,” she said, flashing a big smile, “You must put the toys away that you used this morning.  Come; I will help you.”  And they disappeared in the play room.  The visiting mother turned to me in wide-eyed wonderment and said, “Well, I’ve certainly learned a valuable lesson today.”

          It was my observation that in this well-organized household, there were not too many rules, but once a rule was established, it became a way of life.

          Kathy showed the deep love she had for her family by teaching them to be independent and to make wise choices, and to pray to their Heavenly Father.
          Of course, much of this valuable training came from Kathy’s own remarkable and ingenious parents, President Ralph and Sister Mildred Bradley who have always been an inspiration to their fourteen children and, I dare say, to everyone present here today.
         
At one time Kathy was our Mother Education leader and how we enjoyed her exuberant, helpful, and down-to-earth lessons.  One lesson, I recall, dealt with teaching children in the early teen years responsibility in solving their own problems.  Kathy related that one of her sisters had had a problem and felt that she had been grossly discriminated against.  Crying bitterly she went to Mildred and protested, “Mother, it just isn’t fair; it isn’t fair!”  Her mother responded in a calm but firm voice, “Of course, it isn’t fair, but are you just going to lie down and cry, or get up, dust yourself off, and do something about it?”

Kathy was a great support to Ron.  When he called me on the telephone the other evening and I commented how courageous he was, his response was something like this: “Kathy has always been the courageous one and has tried to teach all of us to be so.”
         
I like to remind myself often of the great humanitarian, Albert Schweitzer, and his contribution to the world.  Dr. Sweitzer was a medical doctor, scientist, philosopher, theologian, professor, and skilled organist.  But with his many achievements and abilities, he chose to devote most of his days ministering to the needs of the common people in what was then called French Equatorial Africa.  One of his statements rings in my ears!  He said with great conviction, “The only ones among you who will be truly happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.”  I have always been impressed with the phrase, “those who have sought.”

It was Kathy’s nature to often seek out those to serve.  Two or three extra children added to her household did not seem to matter.

One time her neighbors and good friends needed desperately to have a few days respite from their rigorous schedules and pressures but abandoned the idea because they could find no one to care for their children.  Kathy dictated what had to be done, almost literally kidnapped the three children, and sent her friends on their happy way.

The genuine service Kathy rendered in our ward in a few short years was almost unbelievable.  In addition to being Mother Education leader n Relief Society, she was for a time Primary president, and later served in the capacity of what was termed Teacher Trainer or Education Leader in Relief Society.  As Relief Society president, I depended heavily on her.  I always said that she made me look good.  She brought to our board meetings innovative and exciting methods to update our teaching.  She headed special committees and lent her talents to ward banquets; she made unappealing assignments seem easy; her keen sense of humor often saved difficult situations.

Although she felt confident in her various church positions, she often laughed at herself and minimized her abilities.  Soon after she was sustained as Primary president, she was to give a talk in sacrament meeting.  The bishop introduced her in a very complimentary way, and as she began her talk, she turned to the bishop and quipped, “Well, I don’t know whether this calling is a matter of inspiration or desperation.”

The Savior said, “Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest; for my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Kathy loved the Lord and took her problems to a power higher than herself.  She often said, “Let’s pray about it.”

At Christmas time she wrote how much she was enjoying teaching early morning seminary and what a challenge it was to teach the Book of Mormon.

One of my favorite bits of poetry comes from the pen of Ella Wheeler Wilcox.  In her sensitive way she says:
          For the test of the heart is trouble
          And it always comes with the years,
          And the smile that is worth the praise of the earth
          Is the smile that shines through the tears.

Each of you who loved Kathy so well will learn to smile again.  She blessed and lifted all our lives.  I extend my love and prayers to Ron (and Ron, we won’t forget what an able member of our bishopric you were.) and Rebecca, and Craig, and Elizabeth, and Amy, and Nicole; to President and Sister Bradley and their choice children and grandchildren, to the Offret families, and to President Bradley’s mother, Sister Nida Donaldson.  May the sweet spirit of our Heavenly Father abide with you, and may all of us so live that we will be worthy to one day be re-united with Kathy Bradley Offret.

No comments:

Post a Comment