Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Miracle of the Fanbelt

The Miracle of the Fanbelt
David

During Spring break in 2013, as the Scoutmaster for my ward, my assistant Scoutmaster, Garth Dunford, and myself, planned a biking trip to Moab and Arches in Southern Utah with six of our scouts. We looked forward to using another family’s 15 passenger van. However, just before leaving, the use of that van fell through because the transmission went out. I was very concerned about using my truck to pull the trailer of bicycles and camping equipment. With 270,000 miles on it, the engine was making new, random noises. Garth also heard the noises and expressed concern about making it to Moab. I made an “off the cuff” remark, “Don’t worry; we’ll just pray it down there.”  As the father of one of the scouts going, our Bishop was asked to offer the prayer before we left. Off we went, me driving the truck and Garth driving his van with all the scouts.

We arrived safely to Moab. We had a great time playing in a giant sand hill just out of Arches, jumping off a cliff into a pool of water in Moab and riding our bikes on the trails at Dead Horse Point.
Waking up at 5:30 am on Saturday to drive home in time to listen to General Conference, we were concerned that the truck was still making those random noises. In the dark of the morning, with hats off, the scouts listened as I pleaded to heaven that I would arrive safely home in my truck. Garth and the boys followed me only to Green River. Because I was so nervous about my truck, I was driving at only 55 mph. I insisted that Garth and the boys drive ahead to get home in time for Conference. For the last three hours of my drive, I listened to Conference on the radio and prayed. Once I got over Soldier Summit, I felt pretty good that I might actually make it home.

As I passed each town on the way home, I said another prayer of gratitude. As I got closer to home, the thought went through my mind that maybe I was making a bigger deal out of this then I needed to. The truck seemed to be just fine. But the Lord needed to teach me a lesson.


As I pulled up to my house, to back the trailer into my driveway, I heard a very loud BANG, and a squeak. I turned off the truck, got out, and opened the hood to see what caused that noise. The pulley had broken, and the fan belt was shredded. Could there have been a more obvious and blatant answer to prayer than that? I had arrived safely home. I believe in miracles. I also believe that the Lord is aware of us and our needs. I would be extremely ungrateful if I didn’t recognize his Hand in my life. He listens to our prayers; he is involved in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment